Scents that Sell Your Home
Searching for the right home can be a challenge, especially when you walk into a home with distracting smells like cigarette smoke or pet odor. Even new builds can have that fresh paint scent that can be a little disruptive! As your agent and your partner in this business, we want to make sure your house is smelling it’s best and makes potential clients feel at home. Here are a few suggestions of ways to freshen up your space for a showing:
First Things First: Clean Your Space
Hire a cleaning service to do a deep clean on your home every other month to keep it spotless. Need a recommendation? We have a full list of preferred vendors that we would be happy to suggest. In between cleans and right before showings make sure to tidy up and vacuum areas with lots of foot traffic.
How to Keep It Smelling Fresh
There are several ways to keep that “just cleaned” smell in your home without the use of harsh chemicals. Bleach can be offensive to some sensitive noses, so use these to get that hold up that fresh scent in a more appealing way:
- Kitchens have potential to collect odors from various food products. Grind up part of a lemon, lime or another favorite citrus fruit in your disposal for a little refresh!
- Invest in a small essential oil diffuser. There are several different types to choose from: heat diffusers, humidifying diffusers, nebulizing diffusers or evaporative diffusers. Choose the one that works best for you! Then use a 100% pure essential oil to freshen the scent of your home. We recommend: peppermint, lavender, lemon oil, or eucalyptus.
Comfort Scents to Make You Feel At Home
Sometimes you may need a little extra touch to make your house feel like a home to potential buyers. Comfort food is a common association with feeling “at home” for many people, so consider these yummy scents when preparing for a showing.
- Combine applesauce and cinnamon in a small pot on the stove. Let come to a simmer and fill your home with a lovely Fall scent!
- You can make an easy stove top potpourri by combining ingredients in a pot of water, then let it simmer on low for about a half hour prior to guests arriving. Here is a great combination for easy homemade potpourri: ½ lemon, ½ apple, 1 1/2 tbs ground cinnamon (or a whole cinnamon stick), 2 tbsp whole cloves, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Bake a batch of cookies (pre-made dough will do, no need to make from scratch!), brownies, or pie in the oven about an hour before showing your home.